sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

The drivers seat won't move forward or back but I can hear

Customer Question

The drivers seat won't move forward or back but I can hear the motor trying
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The seatback will tilt up and down. But like I said the seat won't move forward or back but the seat motor is running. I can see the long threaded shafts but they are not turning
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it's not too difficult
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: Not that I know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the motor is making noise but the seat will not move then the problem is either the motor itself, a mechanical failure of the seat adjuster or something foreign blocking seat movement. I expect you've inspected under the seat and ensured nothing is blocking movement.

What year and model is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a 2006 Mazda 6 and yeah I don't see anything blocking the seat. There is s long threaded rod on each side of the seat and neither seems to be engaging. I can turn each side a little bit by hand, but not enough to actually move the seat either forward or back. I'm not 100% sure if the reclining feature uses the same motor but it sounds like it is and it does recline if that helps.Thanks,

If you do hear noise from the motor then odds are power and ground are ok but it would be best to load test the power and ground at least with an incandescent test light, a headlamp bulb would be preferred. If the bulb lights as brightly as if connected to the battery then power and ground are ok. If ok then the seat adjuster assembly would need to be replaced if there isn't anything foreign blocking seat movement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't need a call from you right now. I'll do a little more research, and maybe get back with you.But thanks for now

Let me know if you need any more help!