Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited

I have replaced an ecu : replace an ecu and the immobilizer

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: i have replaced an ecu
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: replace an ecu and the immobilizer keeps flashing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: had the key the ecu came from
JA: In addition to the key, do you also have a key fob? Do you have a key code?
Customer: no its just the key
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, to be able to give you specifics of what else needs changing I would need to know the model type, however just the key and the ecu alone will not normally be enough, I would expect the transponder reader around the ignition barrel and either the alarm control unit and/or the body control unit, unless you have access to diagnostic equipment good enough to reprogram the security system and have the security access codes required.

Hopefully you still have access to the donor vehicle!