sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My car alarm randomly goes off and on. JA: A blaring car

Customer Question

My car alarm randomly goes off and on.
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I lock the doors and then just randomly the alarm goes off. Sometimes it shuts off by itself. Is there a way to reset or disarm? I need to be able to lock the doors.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope so. I live in Bahrain and already took it to the dealership. And the problem persists.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: I don't think they actually DOD anything. There are communication barriers. I bought the car in the US and then shipped it here when we were stationed here with the U.S. Navy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: DOD = did
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Factory security works by watching the door, hood and trunk ajar switches while the system is armed. If it sees one of the switches close without the alarm being disarmed then the alarm will go off.The problem could be a module issue but it's almost surely seeing activity on a door ajar circuit. You may have a bad ajar switch (most common), an ajar circuit wire may be shorting to ground somewhere in the harness, or one of the doors may not be closing correctly. It's not all that common but if there is a hinge, door, or striker issue then a door may not be closing fully and is allowing an ajar switch to close intermittently while the car is at rest.Was the dealer not able to duplicate the problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I live in the Middle East and there are some communication barriers. I told them about the problem when I was getting maintainence. When I picked it up they said it was fine.I'm going on a trip for two weeks in a few days. Is there a way to disarm the alarm for now so I can lock the doors?. Then when I get back a can take it in again.
It can be disarmed by pressing the unlock button on the key fob or unlocking a door with the key. If you lock the door mechanically without power locks or the fob then it should never arm.