Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Mazda 3: I have a 2008 Mazda 3 - No power in drive - gear indicator

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 - No power in drive - gear indicator light on dash is not lit - Traction icon and AT icon and check engine light are all lit. Any ideas what this might be? My daughter called me a few days ago complaining of this problem, but it corected itself, so it seems intermittent.
Thanks, Greg
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Reverse has full power but still no "R" on dash -
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found this problem an hour ago. Just went outside and power is back, gear ind light is back and track and AT lights are out. ??
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Anyway you can get it scanned to see which codes are stored?The current info is pointing to a shift linkage adjustment issue or the transmission range sensor reading incorrect. Do you have electrical diagnosing tools and skills? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
TCM is not communicating with PCM. Had a guy look at it and said it could be a bad battery. 2 years old no cranking issues.
What communication code numbers are you getting?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not 100 % sure - I think U010101 - something like that. I'm not using the diag equip but I was looking over his shoulder. I'm an autom equipment tech (lifts, balancers, tire machines, etc) not an auto mech any more so I'm relying on someone else
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My gut is telling me a bad TCM - Is there any way to tell for sure?
Scan tool and electrical diag would be needed to confirm if a module has failed. Your vehicle does have the 5 speed transaxle, correct?Can you do electrical testing to first confirm the TCM is getting power and ground?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5 spd - I can - Let me know what pins to check
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago. Above is the wire diagram. Pins J, I, O are powerPins L, M, X are ground.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris