Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda MPV LX: 2003 Mazda MPV has faint tickle noise coming

Customer Question

2003 Mazda MPV has faint tickle noise coming from what appears to be behind the dashboard. The sound is irregular and intermittent, and has been slowly getting worse for about one year. The noise happens when driving straight under normal acceleration or at steady speeds. It appears to slightly depend upon steering. For example, going straight at 20 mph you may hear nothing until you turn ever so gently to the right. It sounds a bit like a noisy speedometer cable from back in the day, except it is not a regular repeating sound. I have checked for obvious things like a piece of wire wrapped around a half shaft. No problem is visible from under the hood or from below with the car on a lift.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Hello, do you notice if you can make the noise occur by moving the temperature controls or air change the airflow of the dash vents?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since I got no responce from you guys for over 18 hours, I just gave up and quit checking my emails. I just noticed your answer. I will have to check on the temp control and airflow before I can give you an answer. It may take me a while, because the noise is intermittent. I probably will not be able to answer you until Saturday. How do I get back to you?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
No problem, just respond back to this question when you have more information or have more questions regarding this concern. Question stays open until you rate it and we still can talk back and forth
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Temperature and airflow controls have no effect on noise.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok but the noise is still present behind the dash or only while driving
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The noise happens when driving straight under normal acceleration or at steady speeds. Not while standing still.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Noises are the hardest thing to isolate without being able to drive the vehicle. Is it a***** will it go away if put in 4x4 high?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not*****
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Im not sure what else to suggest at this time, I will opt out and see if another expert can be of more assistance