Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

My 1995 miata has no power cant go up a hill in first gear JA:

Customer Question

my 1995 miata has no power cant go up a hill in first gear
JA: Someone once said knowledge gives us power. In this case, quite literally! The mechanics will know how to get to the bottom of any power problems, and I'd love to put you in touch with the best one for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just bought this car it cranks real easy sounds good but it will barely move in first gear. I changed the fuel filter,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: fuel filter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: it losers power going down the road. I have to down shift going up hill
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description sounds like the timing belt may have jumped a tooth or two. Check or have the camshaft timing checked. The crank mark should be at 12 o'clock and the cam marks are illustrated in the link below. Camshaft Timing Marks Regular tune items should also be checked, plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Check spark at the wires and make sure there is a good strong spark from both ignition coils.I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There,I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.