Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda B3000: The needle on the oil pressure gauge fluctuates

Customer Question

The needle on the oil pressure gauge fluctuates when the brakes are applied
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,If this happens braking heavily, have you checked the engine oil level?If it happens when statiionary, it could be electrical, but how much variance are you talking about here?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The oil level is full. It happens when hitting the brakes heavily while moving. It does not happen if I hit the brakes lightly. I have a .mov video I could send you but your web page will not permit me to add a .mov file.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,If the oil level is correct, I think we can count out mechanical.I'm not sure on your car, but I've had others that display low oil pressure under the same scenario.One was easy to reproduce in the workshop, with a young fella watching the instruments, he would beep the horn if he say anything while I would the wiring harness around.Started at the oil sensor wire and moved up through the harness, found short to ground at rear of engine when harness flexed forward from inertia under heavy braking.Does yours go to zero when this happens?You can upload the .mov file to youtube and send me the link if you like.Gary