FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 2012 Mazda 6 that they security system activated and

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Mazda 6 that they security system activated and will not turn off. I just replaced the key fob battery. Everything works except the car will not start. The break is pushed in and the steering wheel will not move. There is also a light flashing with the security system light that is a red key with a light going through the middle. We have tried everything the manual said to do and nothing is working.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 12 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if you have a spare key? If so did you try it?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes we did try the key in the key fob. It didn't change anything.
Thank you. This is a very common problem on this vehicle. It is caused by the programming in the anti theft computer. What happens is that the computer stops picking up the FOB so it will not turn off the anti theft system. The fix it typically to have the computer reprogrammed. In some cases the computer will need to be replaced, but that is not too common. Unfortunately it takes a specific computer scan tool to be able to do this which is typically only done at the dealer. Some shops will have this capability depending on their equipment. Some times sitting in the car with the FOB sitting on the steering column for a period of time will allow it to be picked up but not always. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.