Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry. I am down to just one

Customer Question

Hello, I drive a 2009 Toyota Camry. I am down to just one key. It's the type with Remote Head Ignition Key Keyless Entry Combo Transmitter. I hate having just one key in case I lose it. Dealership wants almost $300 for a new one. I see website that sell such keys but wonder about programming the key. I know I'd have to get one cut by a keysmith and that's okay. But I'm trying to find an alternative to program it that doesn't require 2 hours and $300 at the dealership.I have the same situation for a 2006 Mazda 6.Thanks.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.It doesn't take 2 hours to program a new key. Does the one in the picture start the car?Do you have a locksmith in town that programs keys?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes, it does work right now. Yes, I have locksmith who advertise programming auto keys.
Ok, so why not use them and skip the Dealer? The keys can be bought online for $55 here...There is no way other than using a scantool to program one of these keys to the vehicle. The old days yes, but not now.