Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

Mazda Tribute LX: Keep getting different cylinder misfires

Customer Question

Keep getting different cylinder misfires have replaced 1 coil pack thus far and it now says misfire fire on #3. I don't know why or what to try next
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.This vehicle is very common for coil failures, it's possible there is more than one failed coil. Swap the new coil to any cylinder that is not showing a misfire and see if the misfire follows the new coil. It's also possible to mix up the coils connectors, very easy to do. The link below has the wire colors with the connectors. Ignition Coil Circuit The correct firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6. 4, 5 & 6 are on the front bank closest to the radiator. 1, 2 & 3 are the backs. When wired correctly the coils harness actually looks wrong. Firing OrderI hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't follow the new coil pack I first had a misfire on #4 installed the new coil pack on #4 then the next day throw a code for #1 I switched the new coil pack from #4 to #1 and put the "bad" coil pack from #1 onto #4 to see if it would then throw a code on #4. This way I could verify if it was a bad coil pack. A week later it hasn't thrown a code for #1 or #4 but instead it's now #3. The car runs fairly smooth with random surges which I take to be when it get to the bad coil during the sequence. I'm also not sure what the normal driving range on rims is but mine stays around 2000 while cruising. Just seems kind of low to me. I just need to know where to look from here
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On rpms*
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
It's recommended to replace all coils once the misfire has been determined to be from the ignition. The way your misfires are bouncing around sounds like the injectors. Dealer level scan tools have a power balance test for the injectors. At least this way all of the injectors and coils can be seen all at the same time. Injectors aren't as easy to swap around as the coils are.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
2000 rpm's during cruise does seem kind of low to me also 2500 is about normal. You maybe experiencing misfires that are not occurring enough to set codes. The steps below are to follow for misfires that are not setting codes. The first step is with a scan tool. Step 4 a lab scope or oscilloscope is necessary.1. If a Ford factory scan tool is available, use the power balance test to isolate the cylinder. If a factory scan tool is not available, use of mode 6 data may help isolate which cylinder is misfiring. Misfire will be under 51 or 53 modes depending on year of vehicle. On newer model vehicles, the misfire data will be A2 through A9.2. Once the correct cylinder is isolated, move that cylinder's coil and plug to another cylinder. If the misfire follows, replace that coil and plug.3. If the misfire does not follow the coil and plug, move that cylinder's injector to another cylinder. If the misfire follows, replace that injector.4. If the coil and injector are ok, test the power to affected coil and injector during misfire. If ok, check the ground side pulse width during the misfire and compare to a known good cylinder. If the pulse width to the coil or injector is lower on the bad cylinder, suspect a circuit fault between the Powertrain Control Module and that cylinder.5. Note, generally the powers to the injectors and coils will all be the same color, however the ground side will be a different color on each.6. If all coils, plugs, injectors, circuitry are proven ok, suspect internal engine fault, begin compression and running compression tests to isolate. Hope this helpsThanks