Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

Well when I turn the key all the dashboard lights come on but

Customer Question

Well when I turn the key all the dashboard lights come on but it doesn't turn over.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well the check engin light has been on ever since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Every now and then I go to start it up and like I said earlier the dash board lights come on but it doesn't turn over, I turn the ignition several times but nothing, .istened to see if I could hear the pump and yes the fuel pump can be heard running. I leave the dashboard lights on for awhile to see if it will start and then try after about five minutes then it will turn over. But this time it just won't start no matter how long I leave the ignition turned on. Checked the battery and it is strong. Also had my son disconnect the battery to wait for about 30 sec's then reconnect but still no turning over. All lights and dashboard lights come on strong indicating strong battery. Battery terminals are for sure connected correctly and strong.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mazda Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes hopefully
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Onl leaving the ignition lights on where the fuel pump is running for awhile and also trying to turn it off and on off and on until it finally would turn over and start up. But nothing mechanically
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: Oh yah a friend hooked it up to his little diagnostics thing and mentioned that their is a fuel emission leak or something like that. He even mentioned a charcoal box thing and told me to replace my gas cap. I replaced the gas cap but haven't done anything els
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
hi im Kevin the fault you have sounds very much like the starter motor solenoid is failing .the solenoid is part of the starter and the entire starter will need to be replaced