EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership experienceASE Certified L1-L2
34559540

I have a 2007 mazda cx7 with cylinder 4 missfiring. I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2007 mazda cx7 with cylinder 4 missfiring. I replaced all 4 sparkplugs mand all 4 coils and reset the ecu the problem went away for a few days but then came back and now the car is shaking and backfiring with smoke from the exhaust when I accelerate at high speeds and the check engine light came back on saying cylinder 4 missfire again. Any ideas what may be causing this?
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: did you read my first response?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: just what I already told you thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My 2007 Mazda CX 7 Turbo has a check engine light stating Cylinerd 4 Missfire, the vehicle shakes and sputters and backfires with smoke coming from the exhaust when accellerating at high speeds. I have replaced the sparkplugs and coilsand reset the check engine light and the problem went away for a few days and then came back so I replaced the spark plugs again and tried rearranging the coils and re setting the check engine light again but it continues to say cylinder 4 missfire no matter what whit the same problems. What could be the problem and what can I do to fix this?Thank you
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.
Hi. At this point it is possible that a fuel injector has a problem, a wiring problem to the cyl 4 coil, or a problem with the engines computer. You can either swap the injector to a different cylinder and see if the misfire changes, or you can use a test light (or a noid light preferably) and check if the coil is being grounded by the ecu when the skip is happening.
Or possibly a wiring problem at the #4 coil connector.
Can you do these checks yourself?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I will check the suggestions you gave me and then fallow up with you shortly after to let you know the outcome.Thank you again for your assistance
You are welcome and please let me know.
Let me know if you have made progress with this and please rate the service provided. Thank You
I see you keep viewing my responses. Do you have more questions for me? Rate my service positively and have a great day. THanks.