ironmike
ironmike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 engine performance specialist 30 years Ford Trained and certified.
11302663

I have a 2001 Mazda tribute and there's times it won't start

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mazda tribute and there's times it won't start up I have a new battery and just got a tune up its not the alternator because when it gets a jump we disconnect the positive and negative cords and it still works
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I don't drive it everyday it sits
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, when the vehicle will not start does the engine crank over? does the starter turn the engine over? why did you disconnect the battery? are there any warning lights on in the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes a clicking sound we disconnected it to make sure it wasn't the alternator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil pressure light was on to
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings,when the vehicle will not start does the engine crank over? does the starter turn the engine over? why did you disconnect the battery? normal for the oil light to come on if the engine does not start
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
if there is a clicking sound and the engine does not crank over it could be the starter or low battery voltage. since the battery was replaced it is probably not the battery(unless there is an excessive draw that is killing the battery)
Expert:  ironmike replied 1 year ago.
normally a tech would verify battery voltage. check for power to the starter when the ignition switch is turned to start. I have seen many times bad contacts in the starter and rapping the starter sometimes gets the contacts to work for a few more times. I would recommend replacing the starter if this is the case.