Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2011 Mazda 3 2.0 has a knock, maybe a wrist pin or? Thinking

Customer Question

2011 Mazda 3 2.0 has a knock, maybe a wrist pin or? Thinking of rebuilding/repairing instead of swapping. parts seem cheap. not sure if cylinders can be bored. just looking for some general advice, maybe some specifics.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionWhile a wrist pin is certainly a possibility, so is rod bearing or main bearing. It would really help to hear the noise. If you have a phone that records video with sound, record the noise and upload to youtube and post the link here so that I can listen to it. Then we can go from there on how to proceed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will record it....
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just recorded it. and I did the "remove spark" test again. Seems like the #3 cylinder is the culprit. (last week I could not tell the difference by doing that....) This 2011 has 243000 miles, I plan to keep it. Wondering if I can just fix the one cylinder maybe.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Ok, please upload it to youtube and post a link for me