Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

04 mazda Miata - i have a random misfire code that keeps occurring

Customer Question

04 mazda Miata - i have a random misfire code that keeps occurring - what is does is at some point while driving (totally random when it happens) the acceleration/gas feels muffled - like it's hitting air or something - then after a couple seconds clears up and drives fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hmm... not sure if it's part of the same but also on occasion while sitting at a stoplight, the RPM drops quickly, sounds like it is going to cut out, then comes back up and idles fine. I'm not sure what other details to give. It does the muffled gas feel, then the light flashes maybe 10 times, then goes solid. when we have had the codes checked it just says random misfire
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Before we begin, please understand that all I can do from where I am is offer you my technical knowledge and guidance; it is you, using the right tools, the only one who can diagnose and ultimately fix your vehicle.Having said that, one of those tools you'd need to use is a scanner capable of reading engine data - without it we'd be just guessing and that can get very expensive very fast.