Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

Its a mazda cx9 2008 JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

its a mazda cx9 2008
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: theres a red key sign on dash lit red and the outside buttons on doors suddenly stopped working so i cant unlock and lock the car through the buttons on the door handle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no just that i would like to get those buttons working and removing the red key on dash
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
HI there,Will the car start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it starts with 1 key i have and without the key and just the keyfob
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Ok, usually the red key means that the fob and key aren't recognized. This issue seems a little bit different. I would like to have you try this procedure and see if the light then turns green. This should also restore the buttons as well.While carrying another advanced key,push in the start knob until the KEYindicator light (green) illuminates.Insert the auxiliary key and turn theignition switch to the ON position. Please let me know if this helps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I only have 1 advanced key. But still tried it and nothing and the key is still luminated red.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
I think the next step for you is going to be to replace the key in the key fob. I think that's all you can do from home without getting the dealer involved to reprogram it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did get a replacement... It neverhad a key when i bought the car 2 weeks ago so i gota key and had it programmed
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
Replacement battery you mean or the key itself?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a replacement key because it never had one. The battery in the keyfob is new too. I am reading and found that a possibility could be a sensor in the rear bumper but if it was that would the key fob still be able to lock and unlock doors?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
You would get some reaction from the key fob even if the sensor in the bumper was the issue. I am amazed that the car is starting even when it's "claiming" to not recognize the key. This is a very strange issue unless somehow you inadvertently activated the advance key suspension function. Not sure how you would even do that without having 2 of the keys. The procedure I gave you should take it out, although might not since you only have the one.I see no other reason for this issue to be happening.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I only have 1 aux key and 1 advanced keyfob.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 7 months ago.
I understand. I am going to open this back up to the other experts. Perhaps one has some other ideas to toss out. Please don't reply or rate, it will only lock it back to me.Sorry I wasn't able to help you out today.