Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Mazda Protege dx: I just bought a 2000 Mazda protege dx 1.6L

Customer Question

I just bought a 2000 Mazda protege dx 1.6L and I replaced the a/c compressor, condenser, receiver drier and expansion valve since the old parts were worn out. Now I can't get the compressor to turn on unless I jump power straight to it. There is power to the fuse, the fuse is good (and I have replaced it with a new one to make sure) but I can't get power to come out the bottom of the fuse box
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. In allot of cases if a fault code has set in the engine computer this can disable the ac system from operating properly.If you have not had the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool that can plug in and commuicate with all computers this needs done.If any codes are set the codes need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here and in some cases the codes just cleared out to correct this issue.If this was already done let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Codes are cleared. There was a p0106 when I bought it, but it went away, came back on, and came back on while I was making repairs. I just erased it and still have the same problem
Where are you testing power at at this fuse panel where you say there is no power?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is 12v at the fuse, but nothing at the connector right below the fuse box. I back probed it and couldn't get any voltage out of it
Have you checked under the fuse panel for any corroded or damaged wiring at all needing replaced or repaired?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have. I even used a brand new wire to run from the probe in the connector underneath the fuse box over to the compressor. It doesn't work unless I run a wire out of the fuse to a 10amp fuse, and then run it over to the compressor. I checked the original wire for continuity as well and it checks out fine
Can you tell me which fuse this is exactly as well as the amperage for this fuse?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It a 10 amp fuse. If you're looking at the fuse box and standing by the drivers side tire, it's the top right one of the micro fuses. Let me see if I can send a picture
Is there a purple wire at the compressor and does it have 12 volts on it with the ac compressor switched on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. There is a light blue wire with a red stripe
My diagrams seem to be off a little and I want to make sure I have the correct diagram info.Can you tell me all the colored wires at the compressor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is only one wire going to the compressor connector and its that same blue and red one. When I was buying the condenser, I had to get one from a 2001 model even though the car was built in 04/00. It's possible the diagram for a 2001 will match
Unfortunately my diagram info isnt matching up to this model here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. Different expert here.Do you still need help with this issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do! I'm still having the same problem. Thanks
OK. Does the A/C relay click when the system is turned on from the controls?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Juan, i'm sorry it took me so long to respond but i did go out and check that relay. I can't get it to click no matter what I do. I pulled it out to check voltages with the switch on and off, and no matter what, they stay the same. I can jump the top to connections and get the compressor to kick on, but that's all I have found. What voltages should be where?
Turn ignition OFF. Remove the A/C relay. Turn ignition and A/C ON. Out of the 4 empty relay terminals, one should have power (system voltage) from the 15 amp A/C fuse in the box behind the left kick panel; one should also have power from the 10 amp A/C fuse in the box under the hood (next to the relay); one should have ground from the PCM and the remaining one should be open (no ground or power) going to the compressor clutch coil. Please check and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Juan. I have full battery voltage at the top terminal (closest to 100amp main fuse) and the same on the bottom right one. Nothing on the other 2. I'll add a picture and point to which terminal is the top one.
Well, that's just two terminals - tells us both fuses are OK. Now I need you to check the other two to see if the PCM is sending a ground signal - if you're using a test light, connect it to the battery positive post and then probe the empty terminals (don't forget to do this with the ignition and the A/C ON.) If you're using a voltmeter, set it to 20 volts DC, then place the Red probe on the battery positive terminal and use the Black probe to probe the empty terminals.No ground from the PCM going to the relay means something is telling it not to allow the compressor to run and that will require further testing - could be the PCM is not receiving a request signal from the A/C control head because either the thermoswitch or the pressure switch are not letting current through.I have to log off for tonight, I'll be back on tomorrow from 2 to 8 PM AST. I'll check on your progress then.Best Regards.
Hi again.Turn ignition off and jumper the two big terminals (see your pic attached). Start the engine and turn the A/C on. If compressor clutch engages, then we'll know that circuit is OK - we'll just have to find out why the computer is not grounding the relay.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked those other two terminals the way you said, and they both show the full battery voltage. So I think they're good grounds. Also, if I jump the two bigger terminals, the compressor comes right on. I don't know if this is relevant at all, but the pressures build up too high and I just it off before anything happens. Low side goes to about 80 and the high side gets up around 300 before I shut it down
If what you say is true, then the relay is getting the correct ground and power and should be "clicking" and sending power to the compressor. Have you tested the relay by itself? better yet, is there another relay in the box you could temporarily swap?
If what you say is true, then the relay is getting the correct ground and power and should be "clicking" and sending power to the compressor. Have you tested the relay by itself? better yet, is there another relay in the box you could temporarily swap?Regarding the high pressures, isn't the condenser fan coming on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't remember the condenser fan coming on. I'll check that again.
if you have a wiring diagram, could you send that to me please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just tested the relay using the horn spot, it works there. Then I jumped 12v right to the small terminals and it clicks every time, so I think the relay is working. I'm not sure why I can't here it clicking in the car though. I just rechecked the voltages at the relay terminal, and everything is the same with the a/c switch inside the car on and off. Shouldn't it be different?
you'll see in the diagram how the PCM has to ground the A/C relay for it to energize and allow current trough to the compressor. Now, in this car, the PCM waits for a few seconds to ground the relay after the engine starts - it does that so the A/C doesn't take anything away from the starting circuit.So, guessing you don't have access to an OEM or equivalent scan tool, you're best would be to create your own testing points - you can do that by removing the A/C relay, then shoving a short piece of small gauge wire on each of the terminals so you can force the relay back on. The result should be 4 pieces of wire sticking out from under the relay.It may also help if I knew what kind of diagnostic tool you're using, so I could adjust my instructions accordingly. Anyways, the diag is attached and ready for you to view. Please let me know what you find.
By the way, if you're going to do the 4 pieces of wire, make sure to strip insulation only from the ends that are shoved in the terminals to prevent accidental short circuits.Oh, oh... it's after 8PM. Gotta log off until tomorrow. Check back with you after 2PM AST.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll jump on this first thing in the morning. Thanks again for all your help! Also, I have access to a snap on verus scan tool. Let me know how I can use it!
Got a chance to log back in for a little while...I'm not familiar with that Verus, but, based on previous experience with Snap-On scan tools, I doubt it can help us here. I did see that it comes with a 178-page user's manual, so if I'm not dead of old age by the time I finish looking through it, I'll let you know what I find...Catch up with you tomorrow...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did a bunch of testing yesterday and discovered that the pcm is not grounding the relay to turn the a/c on. Does this mean the pcm is bad, or could there be other reasons why?
This is what I posted to that respect a couple of days ago "No ground from the PCM going to the relay means something is telling it not to allow the compressor to run and that will require further testing - could be the PCM is not receiving a request signal from the A/C control head because either the thermoswitch or the pressure switch are not letting current through."Attached, please find the testing sequence for this diagnosis. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me at this time. If not, kindly accept and rate my answer now.Best Regards.