Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import
29331485

I noticed the smoke a week after i bought my mazdaspeed6 '06.

Customer Question

I noticed the smoke a week after i bought my mazdaspeed6 '06. Both exhaust pipes. If driving i see no smoke but when stationary it brings out a not too black smoke. Please what do i do cause i am seriously in love the ride. I live in Lagos, Nigeria. Akinwale Akinsanya. Email:***@******.***.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I remember now. The check engine light comes up too and at times off.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.
Hi . With the check engine light being ON then you will have a malfunction code .You need to hook up a diagnostic scan tool and check for malfunction code .From the malfunction you will then know what your problem is that is causing the engine to run rich and blowing blackish smoke out the exhaust .What is common is a MAP or MAF sensor malfunction which can make the engine run rich.If the engine is running good and no other issue then you may have on this issue and not cost you a fortune to repair/replace sensors , but do the code check to be 100% and don't change parts on assumption .. Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed. Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did the diagnostic scan and the result is showing catalyst. I was asked to change the catalyst. Please I need your advice on this before I give it for the change. Please answer the following questions for clear clarification. 1.) Can the catalyst be the cause of the smoke?
2.) How should it be changed?
3.) Do I order for it or I buy it here in Nigeria? If I buy here, what do I need to check out for?
4.) Any other advice on how to service and repair it?Thanks.
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.
What was the malfunction code .Greg