Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda cx7: 07 cx7 has no spark , sparks only once on cylinder

Customer Question

07 cx7 has no spark , sparks only once on cylinder one
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Are you getting any communication with a scan tool at the data link connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes are p0118, p0123, c342D, po55, c3064, c2174, c2520, c0361, c2e63, c256c.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
There has to be a harness loose or disconnected somewhere with all of those communication network codes. Have you checked power and grounds to the PCM? There are about 6 ground points on the engine/chassis on that car. You might have to check them all. Can you check for resistance to ground at the PCM? It would tell you if you have a loose ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a small gauge wire coming out of the harness that powers the coils that is not hooked to anything and i'm not sure what it hooks to.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can tell where is goes on the wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the only wire like that on that harness
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell what color it is?Here is the wiring diagram for the coils:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so is that the one i see going to the capacitor?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
NO, the one going to the capacitor should be green. I'm not seeing a black wire. Are you sure it's not blue? Can you attach a picture?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to capitalize "no".
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to call it a night. I'll check in with you tomorrow to see if you need additional info.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
Any progress on identifying that wire from the coil pack?How about checking grounds at the PCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wire we talked about last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so any ideas about the wire in the photo, black with white stripe with the brass colored square eyelet.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.
That definitely looks like a ground strap but it's hard to say. That would explain why it doesn't show up on the ignition coil circuit. They generally don't list grounds. Can you test the wire with a meter to see if there is any voltage signal from it?