Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

Mazda 6: Odd issue that just started happening - 2010 Mazda

Customer Question

Odd issue that just started happening - 2010 Mazda 6i. While driving, the radio shuts off. When it does, the key light and security indicator lights flash a couple of times and go off. The DSC, Traction Control, ABS and Brake lights all come on and won't turn off until the car is restarted. If you keep driving, the radio will come back on with the "hello message". The first time it happened last week I parked the car, it would not turn off or go out of park. It finally shut off after about half an hour of trying (push button) and restarted as normal. All of the above happens every time it's driven except the issue of turning off the car. Sometimes it happens several times per trip to work (half hour drive).
Any ideas? I've seen references to replacing the battery and replacing the BCM.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Other possible symptoms when the car is not responding:
- door locks do not work, via handle/button, fob, or inside button
- dead fob battery start method with key inserted doesn't work
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've only had the car for three months. It worked fine for two months and then the drivers door exterior lock button started to only work sporadically.
Coincidently, I replaced the serpentine belt three weeks ago hence my initial thought of a battery or alternator issue.
I noticed two weeks ago that the fob stopped being able to unlock all doors. It just unlocks the drivers door over and over again.
First real incidence of the radio off plus error lights was about a week ago
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to be able to determine what is causing these problems the first thing you need to do is to scan the computer system, anytime the ABS, traction control light and DSC warning lights come on the system should be detecting a system fault and set a fault code and or codes. If you can get the scan done and post back with the results I will see if I can help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ron,
The car isn't throwing any codes and no check engine light. The dealership didn't note any codes when they looked at it.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
There should be some code setting with the ABS and traction light coming on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll take it back over to the dealer today and check. I suspect there is no actual fault with those systems but that they are a symptom of a short or controller issue.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
You may be right , its possible you have an ignition system problem if it will not shut off at times. This is the type of problem that going to require checking while the problem is occurring.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would an ignition problem translate to the radio going off? It seems like the engine electrical system remains fully operational and the body electrical system drops out.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The radio going off indicates a loss of power to the radio.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just had the car scanned... No codes.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Okay then you going to need to have some hands on testing while the problem is occurring. Something has to be interrupting the power source to these components.