internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years of automotive experience and diagnostic is my specialty.

Transmission problems on a 1999 mazda 626. It seems to skip

Customer Question

Transmission problems on a 1999 mazda 626. It seems to skip a gear.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: It's never been changed
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It ran fine one day and the next day it strained in the 1st gear and seemed to jump into high gear
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  internal88 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Mazda tech.When was the last time the transmission fluid was changed?
The valve body in the transmission could be stuck and causing the delay. You could try replacing the transmission fluid. This is your only opinion without replacing the transmission. I'm assuming the Check engine light is OFF?A used transmission will run you about $1400 + labor which is another 1000.Please rate me positive, thank you. Let me know if you have further questions.