Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

2001 MPv 400000 miles runs great all winter now that it's warmer

Customer Question

2001 MPv 400000 miles runs great all winter now that it's warmer weather is hear the engine keeps starting to sut down while I'M driving. I could be crusing down the HWY at 65 or any speed then the RPM start dropping until the car shuts off. The car will not start right away you can sit a turm the key for a while, it will not start, but then all of a sudden it starts like nothing happened at all . This just started what is causing this a bad coil
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Brought the car 3 years ago all runs fine, I did put some money into upper head gasket, mass air flow sensor, crank sensor, no transmisson problems it runs smooth it doesnt miss.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: great I use it as a delivery vehicle with no back seats and it keeps going last 3 years just tires and gas
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no its just stange today the tempature was in the 30-40 early when i was working no problems at all, but when I was coming home warmer part of the day it stopped on me at least 6 times. I had to sit over to the side wait 5 minutes or a little more then it would start. It seems to happen when it warm out side It never happened in the winter.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to determine what is causing the stalling problem you are having you are going to need to check a few things. In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure (55 to 60 PSI) . When the engine stalls on you and will not start can you check each one of these things to see which one you are loosing and post back with the results and I will see if I can help you determine the cause. It would also be very useful if you can scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back when you can and we can work from there.