Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Hey ***** *****! I'm Brandon. My negative terminal keeps arcing

Customer Question

Hey ***** *****! I'm Brandon. My negative terminal keeps arcing and blowing a fuse in the emission wiring harness on my 2010 mazda 3. its blown twice now
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have a 2010 mazda 3 and the battery died. I have since obtained a new one but everytime I try to connect the battery, the negative terminal arcs and blows a fuse
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Was there an electrical issue that killed the first battery? What fuse keeps blowing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi juan. the fuse in question is the fuse located on the 250A emission wiring harness. It is mazda part# ***** I checked my fuse box and noticed that there is also an 80 amp fuse that is also blown.. I beleive this 80 amp fuse controls the heater which would explain why the fan kicks in as soon as I touch the terminal to the negative post. Yes, the positive was connected first.
Thank you for that information. Please allow me a couple of minutes to get some data. Be back in a bit...
OK. What is happening is that there is an electrical load bigger than what the 250 amp fuse can support; most likely a short-to-ground.I don't show any 80Amp fuses as being stock on this vehicle. Have any modifications/customization been made or any type of accessories added?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No modifications have been made to this vehicle. My apologies, I believe the fuse in question is actually a circuit breaker. It says PEC 80 320VDC
No. I was wrong, there is an EH PAS fuse/fusible rated at 80A on position F28 of the fuse block. So I'm thinking this fuse blew first, then the 250A followed suit. What I don't know is why that happened. Be back in a bit...
Got good news! That issue is covered under warranty under Mazda Recall 5409D. Call Mazda at 1-***-***-**** to make arrangements for free repairs.Best Regards.
I've attached the official Mazda Owner Letter for your reference.Best Regards.