Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda Tribute I: I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 2.3L with error

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 2.3L with error code P0340. The engine runs fine on start up and then after it warms up it shuts off. It will not stay running unless you keep giving it gas. The engine has been rebuilt and has all new sensors and spark plugs and coils and a new PCM. The vehicle runs fine around the neighborhood but still shuts off at idle. What could be the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
That sounds like they may have set the timing wrong when the engine was rebuilt. This engine is terrible to get timed correctly, especially if you don't have the special timing tools.If you have a scan tool you can verify the timing is off.Do you plan to do any diagnosis/repairs yourself?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right now I am on Duty at my base but If you can tell me how to ck the timing with my scanner or how to time it? I will ck it later when I get off duty. My scanner does give real time engine readings while it's running.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Start the engine and going in to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) data on a scanner, look for the Parameter Identification (PID) VCTADVERR (Variable Camshaft Timing Advance Error). This is a degree reading and should stay very close to 0 degrees at all times. If the reading shows a high value, especially at idle when the engine is running rough and surging (this will normally rule out a VCT system problem), suspect that the camshaft timing is off. Using the camshaft alignment bar part number 303-465 and the crankshaft alignment peg part number 303-507, check and adjust the camshaft timing and recheck operation. The part numbers listed are critical, there are other crankshaft alignment pegs that may screw in, but the number listed is specific to this engine and needs to be the one used. I'll send over a timing procedure if you get the point where you think you will need to attempt a re-time.