350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience

When i reverse out of park i hear a high pitch creeking/squeeling

Customer Question

when i reverse out of park i hear a high pitch creeking/squeeling sound, its worse if I turn the wheel sharply. It does not happen when I brake or when I go over bumps so i've ruled out brakes and suspension. Not sure what it is but its loudest when I'm first pulling out after the car has been sitting a while. Seems to be getting progressively worse for about a week now
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes, also don't think its a belt because I cant hear it when I turn the car on or accelerate, only when I'm moving from a stop, mainly in reverse
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2013 Mazda CX5
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello for it to creak only on moving off then I'd say its most likely to be the brakes binding?as I've known binding brakes to take a 'set' overnight and then crack off when you move off in the morningI'd strip the calipers down and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc. If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and is producing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but you can test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by cracking off the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times Another possibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn't retracting on its seals in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing
Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you