Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2001 Mazda Tribute has ECM wiring harness issue after tranny

Customer Question

2001 Mazda Tribute has ECM wiring harness issue after tranny was replaced. I need the ECM connector pinout to identify the far end termination of a faulty wire.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: movement of the harness near the ECM connector can cause the engine to stop. After driving long distances and then stopping and turning off the key, many times the car will not start until you open the hood and wiggle the wiring harness near the ECM. Then the car will start again and run fine until the next stop.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mazda Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The faulty wires appear to be related to the only shielded pair within the harness. This pair includes a ground wire which may be grounding out another wire farther down inside the harness. I would like to know the far-end termination point of this shielded pair. I have detailed photos of thiese wires at the connector.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 8 months ago.
hello, Pinout should be no problem but, shielded wires dont help me, wire colors are what we need so,, fio you want the pinouts? I can send them and you will have to trace,and will need engine size and is this 4x4?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I found the pinout info, pins 21 & 22 for CKS. But so far I am unable to find the root cause. Symptom remains; slight pull on harness near PCM connector will stop the engine. After driving long distances and then stopping engine, car will not start again until the wiring harness is wiggled/pulled near the PCM connector. Once started, car runs fine until turned off. Exceptions are going slow and hitting a big bump in the road can kill or stall the engine especially after heat has built up under the hood from hot outside temperatures and stop/go driving. I first thought the problem was related to this pair but it could be that pressure of pulling on this pair is affecting a faulty connection with other wires in the harness or a faulty connector extending from the harness. Please advise if you have ideas on how to narrow this down.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The Tribute is a V6 3.0 4x4