Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.

Mazda rx8 cranks slow and won't start. Replaced starter and

Customer Question

Mazda rx8 cranks slow and won't start. Replaced starter and battery
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 7 months ago.

Hello there, I'd like to help you solve this issue at hand. In a short answer, If you have a known good battery and starter, the most likely cause would be poor connections or high resistance in the battery cables. Can you ensure the positive and negative cables have tight connections and are not cut or frayed ? There could also be other less likely scenarios such as worn flywheel or flex plate teeth, faulty new starter and or battery ect. Do you have access to a digital volt meter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have access to voltmeter

Great, first I would start by load testing the battery, with the meter on DC volts, Place the positive lead to the battery positive post and the negative lead to the battery negative post. Then crank the engine and monitor the voltage drop across the battery. Your battery should start out at 12.68volts (if fully charged) and during cranking should only drop down to 11.0 volts, 10.5v at the lowest. Any lower, the battery is too weak or possibly undersized CCA ( cold cranking amps)