Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech

My wifes 2005 Tribute with the four cylinder engine appears

Customer Question

My wifes 2005 Tribute with the four cylinder engine appears to have a miss on #2. Replaced the plug and the coil on # ***** checked the injector and it appears to be okay. The cylinder is still dead. However, at higher rpm it appears to be firing. I replaced the sensor on the fuel rack. It starts the fuel starvation act at 3600 rpm. New fuel filter etc. It appears that all of the cylinders are missing intermittently at idle but 2 does not fire at all. I replaced all of the spark plugs. This vehicle has 150,000 perfect running miles until now. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance. Dave Glassel ***@******.***
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes Mam. I cannot afford to take it to any thieving dealership or shade tree shop. I am retired and live on a fixed income. The last time I took a car to the dealership it cost me 1600 for a brake job. They appear to have a license to steal....
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new coil, switching coil locations, new plugs, fuel filter and fuel sensor. before I installed the 75.00 fuel sensor it would not run at all except on idle.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: It acts like it needs more gas and starts to lose and gain rpm at 3600 rpm. It does not have enough power to move itself. Seems to really be missing on all cylinders when one pulls the wire individually from the coil.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you are sure you have good spark to the spark plug as well as good injector pulse then the next step would be to remove the spark plug and run a compression set. Has that been done?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the compression appears to be good on all 4 cylnders
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay you need to be sure, as you know you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse , proper fuel pressure and good compression. If you are sure you have all of these then the cylinder should fire. Did you actually run the compression test?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did the compression check. How can I check the fuel pressure ? what do you mean by injector pulse ? Cylinder 2 is dead. I checked the injector and it looks good. switched it and all is the same.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

You can check injector pulse with a standard 12 volt test light. Place the test end of the light on the power side of the #2 the injector connector and ground the other end on other wire and cranking the engine over. If you have injector pulse the light should flash. You can read fuel pressure with your scan tool by looking at the data stream.