john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech,shop owner
6149662

Clatter on starting my CX7 (2007 model, 2.3l turbo ) I am

Customer Question

Clatter on starting my CX7 (2007 model, 2.3l turbo ) I am led to believe it is in the timing chain or more specifically the vvt gear
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Clattering sound for a few seconds on start up. I am told that it is in the timing chain and/or vvt actuator. That there is a inherent weakness experienced in these models.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No but I want to reduce costs by buying parts online from ebay or the like. In New Zealand, I am told with dealer supplied parts, the job will be anywhere between $3000 and $5000. The Mazda dealership said parts got outside of NZ are significantly cheaper but I need to know what parts I should order.
JA: OK! The Mazda Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: 79000 kms. No, I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 8 months ago.

usually its timing chain guides... I would tear it own prior to ordering parts.. But f is just chin guide failure replace the guides.. if its a stretched chain I would replace chains an guides

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Timing chain guides- Are they the same as tensioners? For the belt to be ''stretched'', would the noise be really pronounced and longterm? The noise is only a week old.

actually there is a service bulletin for the 07 its replace he vvt

When the engine is first started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing (VVT) actuator (A). This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging or from a worn lock pin hole

Timing Chain Noise:

Bulletin No: 01-012/12

Last Issued: 04/03/2012

With the engine warmed up, some vehicles may exhibit a knocking/rattle type noise from the front timing cover and/or valve (cylinder head) cover below 2,000 rpm. The noise is caused by excessive stretching of the timing chain.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure