350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience

I have a 2009 mazda 6 that has a gh pitch squealing sound at

Customer Question

I have a 2009 mazda 6 that has a high pitch squealing sound at very low speed and goes away after a few seconds. I have new brakes and had those checked to make sure no problems. they replaced a power steering belt but didn't fix the problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it sounds like is coming from under drivers side of the car, sounds similar to nails on a chalk board
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 7 months ago.

does the noise occur under braking or cornering ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It usually happens when the car first moves forward or backward
Expert:  350matt replied 7 months ago.

thanks for the extra info

in that case this could be a fault with a wheel bearing or the new brakes binding slightly

the brakes are more likely so strip the calipers down, remove the pads and clean out all the pad grooves and location in the caliper, smear a thin layer of copper grease on the metal back of the pads where they touch the piston and where they rub in the tracks of the calliper also clean the calliper tracks of debris and dust before re-fitting the pads.

The copper grease won't melt under hi temps so DO NOT get it on the brake disc or friction face of the pads, it does however keep the brakes working smoothly and help reduce any squeal as it damps things out

you can also check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.

Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault

Expert:  350matt replied 6 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you