350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience
12772297

Mazda6 won't start.

Customer Question

Mazda6 won't start.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried to jump. Lots of battery power . I'll try looking at the starter now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started right up - still don't know what the problem was... Disconcerting however ...
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

its possible that you may have disturbed a cable or wire during your investigations which has resolved the issue

so it would be well worth checking all the major / big connections for tightness

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I made it home 80 miles - now it won't start ....ill put OBD II on it and perhaps some answers there
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post

its starting to sound like a faulty starter motor to me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol
I'll get my hammer out-
and tap tap ...
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

thats worth a go certainly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleared the fault code w the ODB.
No issues yet .. Running errands
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Ok

hopefully thats it then

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you