Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a Mazda 6 V6, 5 speed with 175,000 miles on it. Runs

Customer Question

I have a Mazda 6 V6, 5 speed with 175,000 miles on it. Runs great, but oil light stays on for about 2 seconds and have knock for same period after it sets for more than 1 hour. If I restart after 30 minutes, or a little longer, no problems. I checked and replaced, to make sure filter has drain-back valve.
Any thoughts?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I would start with removing the oil pressure sending unit and installing a Manuel gauge and monitor the actual oil pressure when starting the engine. If you find the oil pressure is low or slow to come up then you are very likely looking at possible sludge build up in on the oil pick up screen or a weak oil pump. One other thing you may want to consider doing with the amount of mile you have on the engine would be to do an engine flush, add a quart of engine flush and run it for about 15 minutes and then drop the oil and flush out and add fresh oil and recheck the operation . If its sludge build up the flush may very well resolve the problem. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.