peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a mazda 626 car wont start turns over security light

Customer Question

i have a mazda 626 car wont start turns over security light flashes 2 long and 4 short flashes what could cause this
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The security light flashes to indicate that there is a malfunction in the immobilizer system and then the PCM (engine computer) does not energize the fuel system to operate to start the engine.

This can be caused by a failed transponder in your key or an issue with the coil in the steering lock that reads the key.

The codes will have to be checked using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault here.Most common is the key itself needing replaced but the coil can fail as well.

Unfortunately there isnt a way to bypass this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete