Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I'm replacing the drum rear brakes on a 1990 MPV. reason

Customer Question

I'm replacing the drum rear brakes on a 1990 MPV. For some reason I can't seem to install the drum ! It just won't fit. The replacement shoes seem exactly like the old ones (slightly thicker pads since old ones are worn). What could be the issue?I began filing some of the metal that contact the adjuster as to make the shoes come closer to each other but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Is it possible that I reversed the springs that hold the shoes to the backing plate (the red one is a little longer than the green one) that is causing the problem?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 9 months ago.

hello, I am Randall can you maybe snap a picture or two? use the link on your end to send to this post? i really need to see how you did the shoes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. Here you go. The adjuster is not showing because I removed it to begin filing the ends.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A pic from the bottom.

last pic has no adjuster. you know this, are the top 1/2 moon portions of the shoes touching the stud when adjuster is in place?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they seem to be touching the stud.

so without adjuster in drum still does not go on? this is odd

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the drum definitely goes on without the adjuster. It's when I install the adjuster when the drum doesn't want to fit.

can you put adjuster in and pic for me? all looks ok right off, well an error with top springs . will deal with that later, that is not the cause

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll go home and do that and send you additional pictures.thanks !