FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

We have a 2005 M3 2.3L that won't start. It has a new

Customer Question

We have a 2005 M3 2.3L that won't start. It has a new battery (2 months old) and just clicks when turning it over. Replaced the starter and same "click". Is there a clutch safety switch on this car?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine runs by push starting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. To answer your question, yes it has a clutch safety switch. It may have failed. You can test it with a voltage meter if you have one. Where is the clocking coming from?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The clicking seems to be coming from the starter area. I have a voltmeter. How do I test the clutch safety switch? Or better yet, is there another way to diagnosis the problem?

You can try jumping the clutch switch with a jumper wire to see if it will start.