Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mazda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Mazda Diagnostics
18617752

My abs and traction control lights stay on, they come on

Customer Question

my abs and traction control lights stay on , they come on after about 5 minutes of start 2008 mazda tribute
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it started after I had new brake pads put on front the vehicle has only 60,000 miles. had since new.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Both the Trac and the ABS system use many of the same sensors to do their jobs correctly. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts sensors that are shared, to to say "it's this..." would be impossible as this time. However, if the problem started just after front brake pad replacement, there's a strong chance that the problem lies in the front Wheel Speed Sensors (aka ABS Sensors) and/or one of the sensors was damaged during the brake job. The sensors and the wire harnesses to them are extremely touchy and can easily be damaged. At this point, we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes to point us in the right direction of which sensor has the problem. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone will have the correct scan-tool to read these codes. If you can find one that does, they will do so for Free (except in California). If you cannot find a local store to read the codes, a shop will be needed. Once we have those codes we can more accurately and efficiently determine the root of the problem and make the correct repair. In the meantime, you can give a visual inspection to the Wheel Speed Sensors looking for any signs of damage or and loose, broken, damaged or pulled/stretched wires. If there are no visual problems, then again, we'll definitely need those trouble codes to continue any further. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.