peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2004 rx8 power steering light stays on when U start the car

Customer Question

2004 rx8 power steering light stays on when U start the car ...but when car was sitting out in the cold when u start car light is not on ... Already replaced wiring harness but I still get code B2278
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code you have set here indicates a fault with the torque sensor.If the wiring harness was already replaced and did not correct this fault here the torque sensor itself can be at fault needing replaced and is most common.If this has not been checked into this needs done and replaced if found to be an issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uirw0jqhp2rgeq/t-02-01.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/808ldwutnpkd6u7/tp-02-01.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f54snla8mns4bj5/tor-02-01.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I unplug the wiring harness and plug back in steering works .... If the car starts without the light power steering never stops working but once I turn off car light back on ??? Sometimes when I start car light on drive for 10 min car off go into store restart car light out ??? And drives fine until I turn off car and start again the light back on? Makes no sense? Only once did the light blink on while driving was when I hit a big bump ? Any idea?

If the torque sensor is acting up intermittently it can cause this issue here.It is possible the sensor is acting up intermittently and needs replaced.It is also possible there may be wiring damage or connection damage at the sensor needing corrected.The fault needs diagnosed as above when the issue occurs to pinpoint what is causing this fault then from there it can be repaired to correct this issue here.

Thanks Pete