rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I just tried emptying my oil catch can and I think I

Customer Question

I just tried emptying my oil catch can and I think I accidentally left the drain valve open. The car started rough and started shooting smoke out of the exhaust and leaked a lot of grimy oil out of the catch can. I have now closed the catch can and checked my engine oil levels. I'm just scared to start up the car now
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I shut off the car a couple seconds after I started it because it was so rough and I noticed so much smoke filling up my garage. I assume oil was being sucked into the intake manifold or something so I hope that isn't too horrible.. I don't know that much about cars
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Well, that's not good. It sounds like you did some damage. The first thing to do is a wet and dry compression test. DO NOT start it.

Thanks, Ron