Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import
29331485

99 mazda 626, 4 cylinder current mileage 154,000 Clutch was

Customer Question

99 mazda 626, 4 cylinder current mileage 154,000
Clutch was replaced about 5 years ago (I drive about 10K/year).
Clutch not spongy or significantly different travel to engage/disengage than I've had in past.
For the last few weeks, at around 3000-3500 rpm, it kind of feels like the engine is spinning free - no (less) power to the wheels. It's most noticeable in 3rd gear. The car does not decelerate, but won't accelerate any more unless I keep revs to around 3000.
I hope that explains what's happening.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this my clutch? If not, suggestions?Approximately what should this cost? Last clutch replacement was in 500-800 dollar range.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Hi .

Yes this is a clutch friction plate that needs replacing , at the stage you are now at its possible to jut have the plate replaced and the release bearing.

That is if the pressure plate is still unmarked on the plate surface ,this will save you some cash in parts .

Check your local parts store for this part will save a lot over OE parts .

Check out a few local known good indy shops and get a price quote .

Let them know you have the parts and need the labor rate .

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Greg,Thank you.Also saw some comments, in my research in re: master and slave cylinders and leaking. Could either of these be part of my problem. And, if the pressure plate is marked, is this a part available at parts stores.Last couple questions, for these parts, any mfg brand you'd suggest? Last one, any idea the hours for changing out the friction plate and/or the pressure plate?If it's convenient, I'd like to chat about this a bit. I tend to be kind of anal and talking might get us thru this quicker, in case I think of other questions when you answer mine.I believe my phone number is ***** my file, but, please note I'm in California not Illinois as the area code might suggest. Also, I tend to be up till around midnite if that fits your schedule.Thank you again.
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Leaking master or slave cylinder would start to make it hard to select .

Will set a a phone call.

Rgds Greg