Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

2006 mazda RX8. I was on my way home from LA to Palmdale,

Customer Question

2006 mazda RX8. I was on my way home from LA to Palmdale, Ca. It's a 60 mile trip. The freeway was jammed the first 30 miles so it was stop and go. When traffic cleared and I started accelerating the car would go but cut out. Then it would stop and be fine. When I accelerated again same thing. Made it home but it did this almost everytime I accelerated. Since then I have drove it around town (less than 10 miles) and it is perfectly fine. Do you know what the problem might be?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello,l the rotary engine can become sensitive sometimes to ignition problems, In stop and go and if a weak igniton part, you will in fact experience exactly what you describe, The rotary engine is so much different than a standard engine, They can easily flood as well. so what i feel the issue is, you need to change the plugs and plug wires, Plug wires are likely the issue but do plugs at same time. If a bad ignition component on this type of engine, the under heat will build up in traffic and the bad ignition component will break down so sort of like running on 2 cylinders instead of 4 persay, here is a link you can click on showing how the wires go. Below is only written info

1. Remove the engine cover.
  2. Remove the battery cover.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Remove the air hose.
  5. Remove the high-tension lead from the ignition coil and the spark plug.

CAUTION: Install the high-tension lead with blue and green tape on the trailing side.