Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, 35 yrs, Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2006 mazda 6 and when it sits in cold weather too,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 mazda 6 and when it sits in cold weather too long, the display where clock is, radio stations and outside weather doesn't come on. After it warms up it does come back on but the clock isn't right. Any thoughts??
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, what kind of temps does car sit in? you are referring to the driver info display above the vents all acts up, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is correct. I would guess in 40 degrees or less. Even sitting in the garage it happens in these temps.

Mazda released a bulletin 09/06 pertaining to this exact same issue, They had defective driver display units on many cars and had to issue and updated dispaly unit to correct the problem, Different symptoms can occur so to answer you on the problem, you need a new display unit, Now, I am not in parts but did a few quick checks and found some even on Ebay for under $89,The new part number that corrects the problme is also listed below, Beloe is also a copy of the bulletin Mazda issued, BTW: this is NOT a recall, it is a service bulletin for a part found to be defective

Here is new part number : GR1B-66-EVO

2006 MAZDA6 AND MAZDASPEED6 - INFORMATION DISPLAY DOES NOT ILLUMINATE/CLOCK RUNS FAST IN COLD OUTSIDE TEMPERATURES

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2006 Mazda6 vehicles produced before January 3, 2006
2006 MAZDASPEED6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GG****6*104319

DESCRIPTION

In sub temperature, some vehicles may experience no illumination from the information display when the ignition is turned on. Also, the clock runs too fast and may gain more than 20 minutes per week.