internal88
internal88, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years of automotive experience and diagnostic is my specialty.
63512786

I am ***** ***** and I have a 2001 mazda mpv, it is idling

Customer Question

Customer: I am ***** ***** and I have a 2001 mazda mpv, it is idling rough and code 1512 is coming up. along with a missfire code. Do you have any experience with this situation? I have put new plugs and wires in before.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what else do you need to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  internal88 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Internal88 - Mazda tech.

9 out of 10 is the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) Actuator. You will need to replace or clean the unit to fix this code.

1. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will command the IMRC actuator to open the flaps in the intake manifold when the engine RPMs are over 3,400. The PCM monitors this movement via a position switch which built inside the actuator. When the IMRC actuator opens the flaps in the intake manifold, the position switch should close. The PCM outputs a 5-volt reference to the position switch on the Black/Blue wire and the other leg of the switch gets a ground from Brown/White wire. When the switch closes it should ground the Black/Blue wire and drop the voltage to 0 volts. Monitor the voltage on the Black/Blue wire with the IMRC actuator plugged in and backprobed then rev the engine up and see if the cable moves and if the voltage switches from 5 volts to near 0 volts as the actuator operates the shutter valves. If not the switch may be faulty, or the flaps may not be moving all the way due to carbon buildup causing them to stick. Disconnect the cable from the linkage on the intake and move the linkage by hand to determine if it is sticking. If so, remove the intake manifold and clean the flaps as needed. If the cable is moving and the linkage is not binding, but the switch voltage is not changing, the IMRC actuator may be faulty. Keep in mind, the code will need to be cleared for the PCM to operate the actuator.

2. If the actuator does not move the cable, test the actuator operation with the key on and the engine off. The PCM will ground the Black/Red wire to make the actuator move, backprobe and ground the Black/Red wire with a jumper wire and see if the actuator moves, if not it may be faulty or may not have good power or ground. The actuator gets power from the Green/White wire and ground from the Black/White wire. The position switch voltage can be tested at the same time.

The IMRC actuator is located behind the radiator, on top of the valve cover and has a cable that comes out of it and goes to linkage on the intake manifold.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!