rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have an oil leak - my dealer said it is the oil filter and

Customer Question

I have an oil leak - my dealer said it is the oil filter and gasket which is fine to fix but they also said it is the oil cooler which is about $450. I have a Mazda CX-7 turbo 2008. I have been reading that you don't always have to replace the whole cooler and that usually it's he o ring gasket. Thoughts? Should I get another mechanic to look at it before I pay that much for the whole cooler?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Add dye to the oil and check for where the leak is coming from with a black light, then you'll know for sure what you need to do as far as what has to be replaced. In most cases, just the "O" ring can be replaced, ask the parts store about this too and see if they sell it separately.

Thanks, Ron