peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I just bought a 2004 Mazda 6 and the radio does not work.

Customer Question

Customer: I just bought a 2004 Mazda 6 and the radio does not work. All of the lights work but the is no sound.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Bose system, stations change, cd seems to work. All seems good except no sound.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did get slight sound from sub woofer in trunk for a while, but now nothing there anymore.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The biggest component that fails here and causes this issue is the sound amplifier itself.The radio/cd and all other functions will still operate normally but the audio sound comes from the sound amplifier and this is a common component that fails and causes this here.This should be located under the front passenger seat as seen here.It is a simple plug and play device with no programming needed when it is replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2n843xi0ol98n3/amp-01-05.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no sound after replacing the amp.

I apologize for the delay.

Did you see any wiring issue at the amp or connector issues at all including any corrosion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was some corrosion at the connection, mainly the amp itself

O.k.,if you did not clean the corrosion and check the wire for any corrosion causing a wire to terminal contact issue this needs done.This can cause this fault here.Since there was corrosion there is also a chance that a fuse shorted out needing replaced or that the corrosion may have sent a short to the radio itself with the radio needing replaced as well.I have seen this in some cases before.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Radio itself has already been replaced with a good unit from a salvage yard. All fuses have been checked and test ok. I will try cleaning the amp wiring connector better later today.

O.k.,let me know how this turns out.

Thanks Pete