sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

A 2010 Mazda 3. As of yesterday morning we are unable to

Customer Question

Customer: A 2010 Mazda 3. As of yesterday morning we are unable to start the car. The remote key unlocks the door, but the car won't start, either buy pushing the start button with the remote key in the car, or by putting the metal key in the keyhole and pressing the start button. The 'Security Indicator Light' blinks regularly, so we're thinking it may have to do with that. The dashboard lights come on, so it doesn't seem to be the battery, but some of the answers online imply that it could be.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What does satisfied mean? If the answer is that I have to bring it to a dealer, than I won't be satisfied - I don't need to spend $18 to do that.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Are you even reading my posts? Sounds like a scam.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that battery voltage is too low to allow the engine to crank but if the security light is flashing it may be a security issue, although low battery voltage can sometimes prevent modules from operating correctly and that could explain an erroneous security light. I've seen security lights flashing on vehicles with a dead battery when a security system wasn't even present.

Have you tried a second key?

Are the headlamps normal brightness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had figured out the problem before receiving this, but you pretty much nailed it. The battery was near dead, but the dashboard lights were still functioning. The dealer wanted us to tow the car to them to check out the security module, but we figured it was worth trying the battery first, so we called AAA who ended up replacing the battery and we were all set.
Thanks.

Great, I'm glad to hear you got it fixed!