AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I'm looking at the question previously asked about replacing

Customer Question

I'm looking at the question previously asked about replacing a fuel pump in an 04 Mazda 6. We have an I hatchback 5 door model. The gasket I have is not a simple o-ring. it looks more like a sleeve. we replaced the pump a while back and I guess we ordered the wrong one because the o ring was supplied. It leaks very badly from the top of the tank. When I looked at a Mazda parts list we ordered and received the sleeve type seal. How does this go in and what tool do I use to disconnect the fuel line. I have the PN for the removal tool for the ring.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The tool to disconnect the fuel lines is called a fuel line quick disconnect tool. The auto parts stores sell these little plastic sets for very cheap. They also sell a metal tool that will work on 2 sizes quick disconnect lines. I will attach pictures of these tools. As far as the pump goes, there is actually a recall from mazda for this issue. It is a well know issue of these lock rings being incorrectly installed resulting in a leak right from the factory. I would call the mazda dealer and ask them if they will honor the recall. If you would like, I can provide you the fuel pump replacement procedure as an additional service for 5.00 with illustrations. This should help you in replacing the fuel pump seal.. Please let me know. thank you!

here is what the cheap plastic set looks like for the fuel lines. They actually work great

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brian, I have a tool for ford fuel lines. its metal and you can swivel it around and essentially have 4 different sizes. I was hoping for a more detailed answer for which tool to use. I don't want to go out and buy a set of the plastic tools and not have the one I need even though they are relatively cheap, we live 15 miles away from the nearest auto parts store and a trip back into town to get the right one takes up a lot of time. Also I asked about the fitment of the gasket since we obviously have the wrong one. Like I stated the one supplied with the new fuel pump was an o ring the one Mazda requires looks like a sleeve with a thicker part on one end of it. I have viewed several videos and read many articles on the replacement and it seems they are all geared toward other Mazdas and therefore I do not wish to pay more for a non specific instruction. At this point I believe your answer was too vague to warrant any further payment to you. It was too generic on the tool to use and did not address the fitment of the gasket.

The tool set I specified is not at all vague. It will fit any size quick disconnect fitting you would likely ever encounter. The fitment of the gasket is simple and covered in the repair procedure which i had offered you. I try to avoid providing repair data in the forum without an accepted offer for it. This information is costly for myself to obtain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
take a look at the gasket in the procedure and tell me what it looks like. if it is a simple o ring it is the wrong one.