sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mazda Tribute - the key will not come out of the ignition

Customer Question

Customer: Mazda Tribute - the key will not come out of the ignition unless I jiggle the shifter. Now the transmission does not engage in drive until I am rolling down the road. It works in all the other gears. Is this my shifter assembly?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: To remove the key from the ignition, I have to pull the gear shifter towards me and remove the key. After a year of this, there is a new problem. I start the car, shift into drive and the car does not move. I shift into 2nd, start driving and at 30 mph or so I can shift into drive.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have 15 minutes before I have to leave.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the problem is in the shifter, either a mechanical issue or possibly something foreign blocking proper movement. It may also be a problem in the transmission or with the shift cable though, and the shift cable is what should be looked at first.

The shift cable adjustment and cable itself should be checked to make sure the cable isn't damage or loose, and if ok then adjustment should be checked.

If the cable appears ok then the cable can be removed at the shifter to see if the trans will operate correctly when shifted by hand. If so and cable adjustment is good then the issue will be in the shifter.