sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 1997 B2300 starts, but then will not start again after

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - My 1997 B2300 starts, but then will not start again after shut down until 10-15 minutes later. Replaced spark plugs, plug wires, coils. Have fuel pressure on injector rails. Thinking about replacing ignition control module. Thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If the truck has not been running for some time, it will start without an issue. If you turn it off, it will not restart until it has sat for some time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A hot restart issue is often caused by vapor lock due to a weak check valve in the fuel pump.

Have you actually verified you're missing spark when it won't start?

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not verified that I a that I'm missing spark. No codes on the code reader. I was suspicious of the fuel pump - I had the tank off last summer to replace the filler neck and should have replaced it then. Should I go ahead and replace the pump or test it or spark?

Before jumping to replacing the pump I would definitely make sure it's the issue.You'll want to see if spark is present at the time it won't start, if there is spark and no fuel pressure then you'd need to check for power and ground at the pump. If power and ground are ok but the pump doesn't run then it can be condemned.