Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

My name is ***** *****.i am a business owner with a small

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****.i am a business owner with a small mechanics shop.i am currently working in a 2005 mazda6i 2.3 4 cylinder.alternator is over charging and the tcm port on the under hood fuse block has on one side power and on the other side groung which is causing the 10 amp fuse to blow.no head lights p lights brake lights.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: trans seems to be in limp mode and jumps hard when moved into reverse and will onl;y go and not come out of third gear.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  roybelding replied 11 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

have you checked for codes???

what have you done about the alternator overcharging???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did check for codes and i got loss of communication with tcm.i disconnected the alternator 12v wire and harness connector.restarted the engine and tested the tcm fuse again.still the same hot on one side and grounded on the other.

do you mean there is no voltage on the other side of the fuse??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
with the fuse out one side on the terminal on the under the hood fuse block tcm is showing positive voltage and the other side is showing me a grounded voltage

ok, with the fuse in, is there power on both sides??

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok when i put the fuse in due to it having power on one side and ground on the other it will blow the fuse!!

ok, so the fuse blows. thats good information we need to know.

if you disconnect the tcm, does it still blow???

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No and now that i have disconnected the pcm the grounded side of the block that holds the tcm fuse is no longer there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i disconnected the tcm sorry bout that typo

ok, what you need to do is disconnect all sensors on the trans, hook back up the tcm and re check. if the fuse still fails then you have a wiring issue. otherwise hook up one sensor at a time ntil the fuse blows. that is the area of failure

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i dont think its the trans or the sensors bc im having a problem with the alternator over charging as well seems to me its the ecm any ideas

if the trans is in limp mode and the fuse fails for the tcm, you have a short in that system

yes, the alternator is controlled by the ecm but is a different issue. try disconnecting the alternator and see if the fuse still fails.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok reconnected the tcm and removed plugs to trans sensors one at at time with no fix problem stayed the same.also the aslternastor has been disconnected before we started taking that was the first thing we done

ok, you may have either a short in the harness to the tcm or a internally shorted tcm.

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok with this car from 2003-2005 this is a big problem i have done a lot of research on this and every thread ive seen ppl having the same problem.is there anyone else that you know at the D.S. that has addressed this issue with success in fixing the problem

you have it narrowed down at this point and need to continue.

I will opt out and re post for you

Roy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.