Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Mazda Tribute has the following issue. Will only accelerate

Customer Question

Mazda Tribute has the following issue. Will only accelerate to 25 mph or so. Increasing gas pedal pressure does not increase speed once it gets in the 25 mph zone. If it is in park the RPM's do not get very high either. There is a CEL on. Transmission does shift as long as there is not too much gas provided. This is my daughter in laws car so I am not real familiar with it. Second time I test drove it to try to diagnose the brakes basically quit working as well. Assume it could be a Catalytic Convertor. I eyeball tested the vacuum lines and they looked ok
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

Your assumption is right. The converter(s) clogged can very likely be the issue with these symptoms. Remove both upstream O2 sensors and take it for a shirt drive to see if the car performs much better. If so remove one sensor and retest going back and forth to see which side is restricted.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.